Jeans Policy

Nina Dietz, Staff Photographer and Writer
December 17, 2013

At Friends School of Baltimore, we are not aloud to wear jeans. It has been that way since the uniform was phased out and the dress code instated in the mid 1970s. My question is whether the reasons jeans were not permitted in the 70s are still relevant nearly forty years later. The reason that a rule... Read more »

William Penn Fellowship

Andrew Kirkpatrick
December 17, 2013

As we rolled into D.C., no one knew what to expect. We only knew that we all had a passion for service. I will be totally honest and say that nothing could have prepared me for the life-changing experience that was the William Penn Fellows trip. There was certainly a buzz in the air when we walked into... Read more »

Friends School Compliments

Nathan Leach
December 17, 2013

On October 25, 2013, the Friends School Facebook community was graced with a unique presence, “Frendz Skool Compliments”. The idea of the page is quite simple, yet strangely novel: students compliment each other anonymously via Facebook. While most Friends Upper School students seem to be aware of... Read more »

Start Your Engines and Get Ready for Holly Fest 2013

vespa horiz

Danny Kahn
November 20, 2013

The Friends School Scooter Restoration Club is auctioning off their first ever restored Vespa at Holly Fest, this coming Saturday, November 23rd. The scooter is a 1962 Vespa VBB, with a 150cc engine. The club invites students to work together in a hands-on environment to restore vintage Vespa scooters.... Read more »

Quaker Community Day 2013

IMAG2068

November 6, 2013

Door-Etiquette

Sarah Miller, Arts and Culture Editor
October 31, 2013

As a wise teacher once told me, the door system at Friends School “teaches empathy.” At first I didn’t understand what he meant by this, as I was too blind sighted by the sheer annoyance of having to punch in a code while in the freezing rain, carrying a two-ton backpack, and waiting for the kid... Read more »

Fearless Freshmen Engage in Early Challenges

Max Rollfinke
October 31, 2013

Every year, a group of wide-eyed, nervous freshmen enters the Upper School, anxious to begin their four years of high school at Friends.  The class of 2017, this year’s 9th grade, has already adapted to many of the “ins and outs” of Upper School.   I sat down with a few class members to get... Read more »

The Secrets of Room 313

Charlie Blake, Online Editor
October 31, 2013

Junior Hall is the Main Street of the Upper School building. There are so many different classrooms and offices branching off the hallway that it almost seems impossible for it to ever be empty during school hours. It’s unique from the other hallways because it has a different vibe and structure. As... Read more »

QSU: A Spiritual, not just Quaker, Mission

Katrina Keegan, Community Editor
October 31, 2013

Friends School’s Quaker Student Union, led by Ms. Schmaljohn, A.J. Pruitt and Lauren Eller, is engaged in a variety of different projects, and throughout them all, a common theme has emerged: QSU is concerned with the spiritual life of the school as a whole, not just Quakerism. Although the principles... Read more »

Got Spirit?

DSCF5608

Madalynn Williams
October 31, 2013

Spirit week was greatly anticipated this year. Monday, Time Travel Day, was essentially a #tbt, off to a slower start. Tuesday was Wild Things, and many seniors wore similar animal shirts. Wednesday was Ridiculous Day and everyone went all out. Some used it as a pajama day, while others threw on as a... Read more »