College-Fueled Anxiety Makes Students Sick

Sarah Miller
February 16, 2014  

I remember about two years ago, someone who looked like a parent visitor glanced at the swarm of students moving to their last period class. She remarked in a sarcastic manner “look at all these happy faces.” I looked to the upperclassman behind me and we both chuckled, as if someone finally... Read More

4-CONSTELLATION-CY_KUMI-YAMASHITA

Art Trip

Sarah Miller, Arts and Culture Editor
December 17, 2013  

You may have seen on Facebook the widely shared picture of a girl’s head drawn entirely with pins and an unbroken thread, usually accompanied with a caption along the lines of “mind blown.” Very few, however, know that this piece, along with many other mind-blowing works of art, is housed... Read More

Door-Etiquette

Sarah Miller, Arts and Culture Editor
October 31, 2013  

As a wise teacher once told me, the door system at Friends School “teaches empathy.” At first I didn’t understand what he meant by this, as I was too blind sighted by the sheer annoyance of having to punch in a code while in the freezing rain, carrying a two-ton backpack, and waiting... Read More

Madrid

Sarah Miller
May 7, 2013  

Picture New York, Only older, with gothic architecture, cobblestone streets, and everything is in Spanish. Although my brief description gives a small snapshot, nothing can compare to being in the fabulous city of Madrid for yourself. While getting acclimated to everyone around you speaking... Read More

Ms. Thorn Interview

Sarah Miller
October 25, 2012  

Is this your first time teaching? No, I worked at Elizabeth Seton High School in Waynesboro, Maryland and then at the Episcopal Academy outside of Philadelphia.   So you haven’t always lived in Maryland? I’m from the DC area originally, but I spent the last four years in Philadelphia.... Read More

Presidential Election 101

Sarah Miller
September 6, 2012  

While I was at the MVA this summer, the lady at the kiosk asked me if I wanted to pre-register to vote for when I turn eighteen. I knew which political party I belonged to when the options popped up on the touch screen, but it really hit me that I want to learn more about politics. So what... Read More

Asian Culture Club with Sarah Miller

Sarah Miller
May 24, 2012  

When announcements for the Asian Culture Club were made in Collection, I imagined a room full of students of Asian descent talking about their heritage and perhaps munching on Chinese carryout. Instead, when I walked into Ms. Hicks’ room to observe what the Friends School Asian Culture Club... Read More

Eurovision

Eurovision

Sarah Miller, Writer
April 11, 2012  

From the channel that brings us shows like ‘Doctor Who’ (Shout out to all Whovians), ‘Sherlock’, and ‘Top Gear’, BBC also broadcasts my favorite show: Eurovision. With a record as of one of the longest running programs in the world, Eurovision is unmistakably rooted into European... Read More

Bill Gates and No Child Left Behind

Sarah Miller, Writer
April 11, 2012  

On Convocation Day, we acknowledged how lucky we are to be going to an excellent college-prep school, and that not everyone is as privileged. As Bill Gates would say, we’ve won the “ovarian lottery.” In other words, we were born into our fortunate circumstances. Even in the prosperous... Read More

Greece’s Financial Woes

Sarah Miller, Writer
February 14, 2012  

You’ve heard about it in the news: Greece has been having a large financial crisis in the past three years. Greece has the 32nd largest economy in gross domestic product (GDP), and 29th in per capita. Greece is also the 31st most globalized country in the world. Though their economy is classified... Read More

The Death of Kim Jong-Il

Sarah Miller, Writer
February 14, 2012  

I type “Kim Jong-Il dead” into Youtube, and it shows me fifty pages of over five thousand different videos, ranging from random people ranting about his death to major press releases. I put the same thing into Google, and the search engine spits out over twenty-nine million results. North... Read More

Japan’s Progress

Sarah Miller, News and Features Writer
January 1, 2012  

Remember in March, Japan had an 8.9 earthquake directly followed by a tsunami? Do you recall the nuclear crisis that was caused when the Fukushima power plant started to leak radiation? The adverse affects of the disasters that Japan had to face in March are still very apparent nine months... Read More

good samaritin bags

Quaker Community Day 2011

Lauren Eller, News and Features Writers
January 1, 2012  

“Friends had a big impact on me by making community service a part of everyday life…It was expected that you give back to the community. The question became not are you going to serve, but how are you going to serve.” These are the words of Dylan Waugh, Friends class of ’03,... Read More