Friends Fall News-in-Brief

The Clubs Fair, 10th grade retreat, Pep Rally, Morgan State concert, Rivalry Day, Homecoming Dance, & X-Country Championship Win

Clubs Fair  *  Wednesday, September 29th  *  by Connor Weisman

On a sunny afternoon in September, high schoolers were getting prepared to show off their clubs during lunch. There were colorful posters and candy next to almost every club to entice students to join. When the fair started, the quad was packed with booths and people shouting to draw in new members: “In our club, we get pizza at every meeting” or “There will be doughnuts!”, which in most cases filled up the club roster. In all seriousness, though, there are amazing clubs that do incredible things like Quaker Quill, Quaker Nation, Yearbook, Black Student Union, Aquaponics, Green Club, and many more. Going down the stairs and towards the Dining Hall, there were many other clubs that were in an area that was a little more spaced out, but still was quite busy. As more clouds covered the sun, the club fair was winding down, and you could see that some clubs started to pack up. Overall the fair was an enjoyable experience where we learned about all the clubs and what they do.

10th Grade Retreat  *  Friday, October 1st  *  by Eva D’Addario

Walking around a farm in the middle of a Friday is not what you’d expect to be doing at school. But it’s what 10th graders were doing on October 1st. Walking into Genesee Valley, we were greeted by a bunch of enthusiastic counselors – possibly more excited than us students. When we broke into advisory groups, each group got a counselor to show us around and lead us in games. In one, we had to crawl through a rope tunnel with someone else coming through the other side. The goal was not to touch each other in the small space, while both getting across to the other side. Some people even tried it blindfolded! We also played a game where everyone had to try and get across six lily pads without touching the ground. The advisory groups were bigger than six people, and the area we had to cross was big enough that six platforms weren’t enough to get everyone across. If you weren’t touching the lily pad while it was on the ground, it would get taken away. We had to problem-solve, and along the way we lost a few lily pads, but eventually everyone got across safely. While walking between games, counselors pointed out a three-legged goat, many turkeys, and other animals. They even had a super cute dog you were allowed to pet during lunch. After everyone ate together, we went into our advisories again. This time, we all went into the woods. Some groups climbed a super tall fishnet in the trees, and a wooden pole that had handles you could use to get to the top. Once you reached the top of the pole, you would have to stand on it – then jump into thin air, to try and ring a bell a few feet away. All of the activities were extremely engaging, along with challenging. The exhaustion was palpable on the bus ride back to Friends, but there was a mutual sense of satisfaction and community among the students.

Pep Rally  *  Friday, October 15th  *  by Suwen Ren

Senior and Senate co-president Owen Burns crowd-surfs at the 2021 Pep Rally. (Kristen Andrews)

The sky was clear and wide and hot. Classes that day felt more like fillers than content; the air was buzzing with anticipation. As upbeat music blasted from the quad, students in red tutus and gray shirts (so SPICE-y!) clumped in the heart of the school. Volleyballs bounced around the crowd, red feathers in the air, and it felt like the world would never stand still or quiet. When we finally sat down to watch, one by one, the teams went up to throw candy, to chuck balls, to stomp on teddy bears; to dance and play music and tell jokes; to advertise upcoming games. Who could forget the volleyball team? The crowd went wild. As exciting as this event was, students were anxious to get down to the turf field to hear the Morgan State marching band play.

Morgan State concert  *  Friday, October 15th  *  by Divine Trewick

The Morgan State University marching band adapted its annual Scarlet and Grey Day concert at Friends to a COVID-friendly performance on the turf. (Kristen Andrews)

It was very hot, but the energy was high, dance circles formed, and members of Quaker Nation ran around everyone with a Quaker Nation flag. Friday, October 15, 2021, was the last day of spirit week at Friends School of Baltimore, and everyone was extra excited to watch Morgan State University’s band perform, after a year-long break from the huge Friends tradition. Typically, the whole school meets in the gym and enjoys their performance, but due to Covid-19, Morgan State had to do two performances on Deering Field: one for the Lower School and Little Friends, and the other for the Middle and Upper Schools. Since there were two performances, Morgan State played fewer songs than usual. But they brought the same enthusiasm, and everyone was pumped. That afternoon was the perfect lead-in to our win on Scarlet and Gray Day.

Rivalry Day, 10/16  –  by Ben Smith

Early Saturday morning, the Friends School campus was busy. Today was the big Rivalry Day versus The Park School of Baltimore. Park, despite being the away team, came in numbers: over 100 people, all wearing white. The first event of the day was field hockey, in which the Quakes barely held on to a tie, with the ball only feet from the goal when Deering field’s horn sounded. Boys JV soccer was up next. The crowd was noisy, wielding megaphones and makeshift drums made from Home Depot buckets. Max Palmer was the spark of this 1-0 contest, with a lovely cross into the middle for an assist. Other highlights included a jumping save from Ben Keller, and Sevie Schulhoff dancing around defenders. With a close 1-0 victory, JV started the soccer games with a win. Boys Varsity soccer was up next, and they had the same boisterous crowd at the start. But Mother Nature had other plans. Rain started to pour down, and most of the crowd shuffled out, leaving a mob of umbrellas. An umbrellaless crowd of 20-30 dedicated fans stuck it out anyway. The game got very chippy at the end, and both benches received yellow cards. After a whistle, Captain Leo Scharff ran up to the crowd, hyping them up. The crowd, which had mostly returned now that the rain was mostly gone, went crazy. A nearby fan commented that “this game just needs to end,” as the yellow cards and warnings piled up. The drums got even louder in the final minutes. The scoreboard stopped working, so every few minutes, the time remaining would play on the loudspeaker. With a 3-0 Friends lead, the final minutes simply prolonged the inevitable. After the game, the crowd flooded onto the field in celebration. Now, with the score of 3.5 – 2.5, the worst Friends could do in the Rivalry Day matchups was to tie Park, which would keep the cup at Deering. Girls’ Varsity soccer got out to an early lead and never looked back. With a hat trick from Captain Maya Carnes, the last game was a 6-0 blowout in favor of the Quakers. At the end of the day, the Quakes won 4.5 points to 2.5, with victories from Cross Country, boys’ JV Soccer, and the girls’ and boys’ Varsity Soccer, along with a tie from Field Hockey. Also winning on the day, but not contributing to the rivalry day score, were girls’ Varsity and JV Volleyball. Congratulations to all teams that played!

Homecoming Dance  *  Saturday, October 16th  *  Carson Cortright

Watch-fobbed dandies and bareknuckle fighters packed Tent 3 for a Great Gatsby-themed Homecoming night to remember. (Rowan Campbell)

On Saturday night, almost 200 upperclassmen met together in the tents lining the Dining Hall. From 8 to 11 pm, loud music, chatter, and a spree of dancers filled the night, in a fitting end to Friends’ triumphant Rivalry Day. The Great Gatsby theme set the bar high in terms of attire. We saw many different costumes, dresses, and even tuxedos, which set a fashionable tone for the lively energy that would remain throughout the night. Henry Sellinger, manning the DJ stand, ensured the dance floor’s central role. A fine-tuned mix of over 100 songs filled his queue, delivering impressive energy and excitement. As the first in-person dance in over a year and a half, it was an appropriate showing, reminding the school of its love for Homecoming.

Cross-Country Win  *  ##day, November 1st  *  Christopher Davis

Earlier this month, sophomore Keller Handwerk and senior Sam Pate led the Friends cross-country team to an MIAA C Conference championship win. On Monday, November 1, the Quakes defeated Chapelgate, Palotti, Key, Concordia Prep, Jemicy, Beth T’Filoh, Indian Creek, and Saint John’s, to claim their 6th consecutive title. And the Quakes did it without the majority of the team. The MIAA canceled the JV Open race due to COVID-19, leaving only Varsity to participate. Even so, the Quakers felt the spirits, as many parents, coaches, and students came out to support the team. “This is the Golden State Warriors of cross-country,” captain Sam Pate said of the group. (The Golden State Warriors were considered a basketball dynasty, due to having the greatest starting five.) This is true; the Quakers had all seven racers finish in under 20 minutes. They were led by a team-best 18:16  and 18:44 from Keller and Sam. Furthermore, the Quakes featured six of their seven racers in the top 10. Sophomores Keller and Hudson Weber, juniors Mason Shriver and Arturo Blasco, and senior Sam also made the MIAA C Conference Team. The team will miss seniors Sam, Christopher Davis, Jonathan Ellwanger, and Rowan Campbell next year. After winning six consecutive titles, the Quakes will move up from the MIAA C Conference to the B Conference next fall. The team will live on with the guidance of Coaches Jennifer Smith and Mike Paulson. As the Quakers join the B Conference, their young squad will hope to bring home a 7th straight title.