The Quaker Quill

Friends School of Baltimore's Student News Site

The Quaker Quill

The Quaker Quill

Lunch & M? Try Lunch & Melting [Brief]
Lunch & M? Try Lunch & Melting [Brief]
Heat broke records this month at Friends School of Baltimore.
After a soggy sunrise, pink-clad seniors headed to Senior Hall to decorate it.
Seniors Rise for Senior Sunrise [Brief]
Friends School's class of 2024 arrived early on the first day of school to watch the “sunrise.”
Seniors and senate co-presidents Macy Goldberg, Noah Ripke, and Harrison Fribush kicked off the school years first collection with a gripping video.
Commencing Collection [Brief]
From Neighborly Notes to the Upper School’s first Collection, Friends School welcomes students back to start the year!
In their first game of the season, the varsity womens field hockey team scored a decisive win against Pikesville High School.
Quakes Beat Panthers 6-1 [Brief]
The varsity women's field hockey team started its season with an exhilarating win.
MIAA Varsity Volleyball kicked off its season last week with a win - the teams first since 2021.
Exciting Comeback for Varsity Volleyball [Brief]
Last week, in a nail-biting first game of the season, the team scored its first win in two years!
The class of 23 took over the faculty room and converted it to a club as part of the annual senior prank.
Seniors Celebrate Their Last Two Days at Friends [Brief]
The class of 2023 spent their final days of classes making mischief, singing, and reminiscing.
The Ultimate First Game [Brief]
The Ultimate First Game [Brief]
Friends School's new frisbee team had wide support and a narrow win at their first game of the season.
Newly admitted Friends students and families arrive for Festival of Friends.
School Welcomes New Families [Brief]
At the "Festival of Friends" celebration yesterday, dozens of admitted students and families visited campus and enjoyed a morning of performances and conversations.
The stands were packed with fans wearing white for boys Varsity Basketballs tense Senior Night game.
Close Senior Night Game Ends in Triumph [Brief]
With family and friends watching, the Quakes claimed victory in the game's final seconds.
Kaylyn Parks snuggles Ms. Carlins dog Basil, at an event in the quad to help students manage the stress of exam time.
Brief: Faculty Dogs Take a Bite Out of Student Stress
In a now-annual tradition, faculty dogs visited the quad this week to help students relax before exams.

Quakes Beat Panthers 6-1 [Brief]

The varsity women’s field hockey team started its season with an exhilarating win.
In their first game of the season, the varsity women’s field hockey team scored a decisive win against Pikesville High School.

On Thursday, August 29th, the Friends School varsity women’s field hockey team started off its season with a huge win against Pikesville High School! In a last-minute scrimmage, the Quakes scored six goals against the Panthers, while only giving up one. 

The team’s grit and aggression in the offensive circle led them to two goals in the first quarter, scored by Kennedy Stokes ‘24 and Samantha Wilkins ‘24. Going after the ball again and again, the team never gave up.

After a brief break between quarters, players maintained their high energy and cheered their teammates on. They scored another two goals in the second quarter, one by Laya Bubshait ‘25 and the other by Samantha. The team ran together and celebrated after every goal, before quickly resetting. 

At halftime, coach Schoen Oakes encouraged the team to maintain their vigor and drive in the second half. The team wanted to win badly, and you could tell. Despite players’ fatigue, they kept the ball on their offensive side for the majority of the third quarter, where Kennedy scored another goal.

After a few more shots, the team ended the game with their sixth and final goal, by Katherine Monk ‘24. When the buzzer went off, the hyped team ran to get their goalie, Hadynn Sund ‘27.

Although the team had a great win, players say they are still hungry, and determined to win many more games throughout the season.