Teachers’ Response to ipads Mixed

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teachers’ Response to ipads Mixed

Julia Pascale, Writer

It’s safe to say this year in the Friends Upper School can be marked by change. Out of all the new additions to the community, many people agree that the most controversial change has been the iPad program, implemented this past fall, giving students access to their own iPads. There is a wide range of reactions to the new gadgets– some students oppose the program so strongly that they won’t use their iPad in class. Others feel lucky to have this new learning tool and take full advantage of it. Opinions vary among not only students, but also among teachers. When asked about their views on iPads in a learning environment, teachers had different responses:
Like many people, Mr. Buck seemed to have mixed feelings about the tablets, saying, “I frankly miss the days when I would take my students down to the lab to work on papers, but the iPad seems to work fairly well for writing in class… it saves the trouble of having to constantly reserve the lab and bargain with colleagues about who gets it when.” He explained, “I like that students can have books online because I think that’s the wave of the future, away from the 95 pound backpacks. “ Mrs. Lampadarios, an avid user of the program, seems to agree, saying, “I really like that students have access to iPads especially because I see how helpful they can be in organizing materials and researching.”
However, Mr. Buck also acknowledged the flaws that come with this system saying, “It creates a problem with my not knowing exactly what’s going on when I’m talking about a book and looking at the back [cover] of a student’s iPad.”
Overall, teachers appreciate and embrace iPads as new learning tools and seem to be taking advantage of them in class quite often. As Mr. Buck put it, “The jury’s still out, but I’m cautiously optimistic.”