Hunger Committee

November 6, 2022

Meets in Upper School Room 211 

This club strives to make a difference. Hunger Committee, one of several Friends clubs centered around service, builds community while students do volunteer work for those who need it.

At the first meeting of the year, eight students learned about the club’s plans for their upcoming trips to The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Building. Their first trip to the Baltimore Station to prepare and serve food to veterans was scheduled for later that day, so the pressure was on.

Spanish teacher Tom Binford, who has led the club for decades, was ambitious to start this year. He recalled the many great times they’d had in previous years. He described a day when he and the Committee made 15 pizzas, which served around 50 people.

Many  students had fond memories of the club as well, mentioning how great it was to serve food and make small talk with the men in the building. The students seemed excited to start, many of them wanting to fight for a good cause – as well as earning some community service hours while they were there.

They weren’t sure exactly what would need doing. In previous years, students have cleaned the kitchen or organized canned goods. But students said they were prepared for anything that came their way.