A Look Into the Life of Miss Korea

Beloved Friends lunch lady Korea Rollins is also a poet, small business owner, and lover of bowling.

Chandler Grace Abernathy

Korea Rollins models her infectious grin in the Friends Dining Hall.

elitqq499, Contributor

There is much more to Korea Rollins – known by students as Miss Korea, the beloved Friends School lunch lady – than most of the students and faculty know. She has been working at Friends for almost 16 years. Everyone in the Friends community loves Miss Korea.

“She is my favorite staff member in the Dining Hall,” shared one student. “She brightens my day whenever I see her.”

As much as Friends students and faculty enjoy seeing her every day, Miss Rollins says she loves seeing the students and faculty even more.

“My favorite part of my job is meeting new people every day, and interacting with the Friends community,” she said.

People are a main focus of her life.

“Spending time with my family and friends is one of the most important things to me,” she said.

Since Rollins is so committed to everything she does, she has little free time. When she does have a free moment, she likes bowling, going to happy hours, and working on her entertainment company.

“Music has always been a passion of mine since I was a child,” Rollins said.

Because of that, she decided to go work in the music industry. With experience, she gained a distinct understanding of how she wanted to work, and noticed that her vision did not align with the people with whom she was working.

Miss Korea’s vision is to: “help our youth, because I believe it is one of the most important things and I believe our youth needs to be heard.”

Since her vision differed from her colleagues, she took a huge leap and started her own entertainment company. Today, Miss Korea has a successful company called “Tru 2 U Entertainment,” working closely with a successful local rapper.

When Miss Korea is not working on Tru 2 U Entertainment, she enjoys listening to music. Her favorite genres of music are R&B, Hip Hop, and Gospel. She says some of her favorite artists include: “Jay Z, Lauryn Hill, and TLC.”

Miss Korea also wrote and published a poetry book. In her book, “A Sensual Soul,” Miss Korea observes her surroundings, and she finds ways to express how she feels about moments in her everyday life.

Published in 2003, the book is mainly about love, life, and everyday occurrences. Some poems include, “Lost Love,” “Heartbroken,” and “Black Love.” The poem “Lost Love” is about love for a lost companion, as seen through the quote, “but my love for you still burns so deep inside my heart.”

Religion also influences Miss Korea’s poetry, and is an important part of her life. Two of her poems about religion are “Preacher’s Call” and “Why I Pray.” In the poem “Why I Pray,” she writes: “he knows all my flaws but brings me joy anyway. And that is the reason every night I pray.” Miss Korea has also performed her poetry live, at Larry Stewarts, a bar in downtown Baltimore that has an open mic night.

Her friends and family know her as an amazing, independent woman who can conquer anything she puts her mind to. She has proven this to them through her successful entertainment company Tru 2 U Entertainment, and through her poetry career to which she has devoted her life. The Friends faculty and student body know Miss Korea as the “phenomenal lunch lady,” who can put a smile on anyone’s face.