Brief: Scarlet & Gray Day Returns Full-Force

With lemon peppermint sticks and toddlers wandering about the campus, it felt, if just for a moment, like no time had been lost to the pandemic. 

Ben Smith

Girls Varsity Soccer celebrated a shutout against City on Scarlet & Gray Day 2022.

Chandler Grace Abernathy, Contributor

Picture the most perfect fall day. The air was crisp, the leaves a million shades of orange.

Hordes of people filled the bleachers, a rare sight at Friends School of Baltimore. Cheers echoed across the field at the girls varsity soccer team, currently on their way to a shutout against City.

It’s been three years since the school put on a full Scarlet & Gray day. Sadly, this much loved display of school spirit was a victim of Covid-19 and strict and necessary safety protocols.

But this year, it was back in full force on Saturday, October 22nd. With lemon peppermint sticks and toddlers wandering the campus, it felt, if just for a moment, like no time had been lost to the pandemic. 

Little shrieks of joy echoed off the walls of the bouncy castle and kids ran between booths. Friends hugged, parents chatted, and kids smiled wide with Kona Ice-stained lips. Scarlet & Gray Day proved, once again, to be a great day full of family fun. 

In addition to the fun booths and activities, Scarlet & Gray day is fundamentally a showcase of Upper School sports. All varsity and JV teams, and a select few middle school teams, play a game. 

Back on the field, the girls soccer team scored, the crowd cheered, and the buzzer blared! Someone was waving a flag on the sideline as the game ended.

The team rushed the field, reveling in their latest victory as they beat City 4-0. The players gathered their things and went to join the festivities. 

Overall, this Scarlet & Gray day goes down with all the others as a wildly successful display of school spirit!