Friends School of Baltimore's Student News * Founded 1938

The Quaker Quill

The Quaker Quill

The Quaker Quill

Members of Friends Schools class of 2025 pose for a photo before their first prom.
Photos, Dancing, Memories - and Don't Forget the Food [Brief]
Missed prom? A Quill correspondent and first-time attendee recaps everything you need to know.
Friends juniors prepare for the 2023 Homecoming dance.
'Back to the Future' at Friends School [Brief]
Homecoming 2023 threw students from the '80s to the future, as DJ Ok got everyone on their feet, and even faculty busted a move.
Fans line up for snowballs from a Kona Ice truck during a break in the rain on Scarlet and Grey day.
Scarlet & Grey Day Hits the Quarter Century Mark [Brief]
On a recent rainy Saturday, Park and Friends School sports teams faced off in a series of contests, cheered on by hundreds of soggy fans.
On the final day of Spirit Week, seniors dressed in Friends School colors - scarlet and grey - for the annual Pep Rally.
A Silly, Spirited Week [Brief]
Leading up to Rivalry Day, students dressed up to show their school spirit - and sense of humor.
A senior accesses the Common App landing page for the University of Delaware. As college deadlines approach, the class of 24 is sleepy and stresses.
Seniors Feel College Pressure as Early Deadlines Approach [Brief]
The mood in senior hall is tense, as sleep-starved teens scramble to finish their essays - along with a heavy load of mid-semester schoolwork.
The Morgan State University Marching Band processes down the Friends School driveway, lined with cheering crowds of students, from preschoolers to 12th graders.
In a Year of Tragedy, Morgan Band Concert a Particular Gift [Brief]
Friends students expressed gratitude for the marching band's energetic performance - especially so soon after a shooting on the Morgan State University campus injured five students.
In Orioles fan and 12th grade dean Josh Carlins office, Friends memorabilia and a recent Baltimore Sun front page celebrating the teams winning season have pride of place.
Fans Dress for MLB Success on Friends' 'Orange Thursday' [Brief]
Led this season by an exciting core of young, up-and-coming stars, the Orioles have won back the hearts of many Friends School fans.
Award-winning novelist Jenny Offill visits the 10th grade English class of Rob Traviesso - her own former student.
Upper School Author Visit Brings Reunion [Brief]
Novelist Jenny Offill spent a day on campus meeting with students at the invitation of her own former student - English teacher Rob Travieso.
Senior Maeve Reichert, head of the literary magazine Mock Turtle, talks to potential 9th grade recruits during the 2023 clubs fair.
Highlights From Upper School Clubs Fair [Brief]
Dozens of clubs showed their stuff and courted new members at the high-energy, candy-fueled gathering on the quad.
Seniors line up in the heat to have their final yearbook photos taken.
Seniors Say (Melted) Cheese? [Brief]
This year's senior yearbook portraits fell during a record heat wave.

“Not a Pushover At All”: Spanish Teacher Marta Reinaldo

Colleagues admire the young teacher’s perspective and presence; students love her warmth. But not many know the journey she took to get here.
Macy Goldberg
Spanish teacher Marta Reinaldo points to a map of Spain, as colleague Lee Roby and a student look on.

Friends Upper School Spanish teacher Marta Reinaldo knows firsthand the challenge of adjusting to a new culture. She moved across the Atlantic to start her career: to a new country, in a new language, with new people. 

A native of Vigo, Spain, Reinaldo spent a summer in the US during high school before moving here permanently. Living with a host family in Milwaukee, she experienced the first of many culture shocks. 

“I remember my host mom told me, ‘Let’s go get groceries.’ We were walking to the garage and I was wondering, why is she going to get the car?” Reinaldo says.

Everything in her hometown was walkable. She couldn’t imagine using a car to go grocery shopping.

After that month in Milwaukee, Reinaldo finished high school in Vigo and attended the University of Salamanca in Salamanca, Spain. There she studied linguistics, and learned an impressive six languages:  Spanish, English, French, German, Portuguese, and Galician.

After college, she earned a scholarship to get her master’s degree at the University of West Virginia. Inspired by her previous time in the US, she made the big decision to go.

She started her new life in the US with a trip to New York City with her parents. 

“I had never been to New York before, and I was like: ‘Oh my gosh – it’s like the movies!’ You know, tall buildings, people rushing everywhere, the streets were dirty, rats,” she says. “It was very exciting.” 

Then she headed to West Virginia, ready to take on Morgantown. At the university, Reinaldo was shocked by how easy her early classes were.

“In Salamanca, I remember studying three, four weeks before a test. So when I moved to West Virginia, I was worried because everything was in a different language,” she says.

Her first test changed all that. It asked about basic grammar: “circle the noun in the sentence and underline the definite article,” she says. “I was like, are you serious?”

In addition to getting her MA, Reinaldo also taught college-level Spanish classes – the first step in her teaching career. After graduation, Reinaldo moved to Baltimore to teach at Friends. 

“It was quite a move,” she says. “When I came to Baltimore, it felt a little more like home. In my home city there’s a harbor too, so I was showing all my new friends that it was like home.”

In her new job, Reinaldo found some obligations challenging. It was stressful communicating with students and parents in her second language. This part of the job was nothing like she’d experienced in Spain or West Virginia.

“[Previously] I never had to send communications,” she says. “The biggest struggle was sending emails home, Back to School Nights… the more personal interactions with students and parents.”

But Reinaldo’s colleagues say they never doubted that she was the person for the job. Lee Roby, Friends Upper School Language Department Chair – and now also a friend – was part of the decision to hire Reinaldo in 2021. 

“She has an authenticity that came through in the very first interview,” says Roby. “We just knew that she would be great.”

Reinaldo seemed prepared for the job. Roby says that first impression has held true as she’s gotten to know Reinaldo as a colleague, and seen the skills she brings to the department.

“I like the fact that she’s not a pushover at all,” Roby says. “She’s very young. And so sometimes students like to walk all over young teachers. But she both has that strictness about her, and yet she’s just so relatable. So I think that she’s a great mentor for students.”   

Many students agree. Senior Kylie Ingerman, a former student of Reinaldo’s, says her class was a great mix of fun and learning.

“I took Spanish V with her and it was probably my favorite class I’ve ever taken,” says Kylie. “Not only was it interactive, but I feel like I learned more in this class than any other Spanish class I’ve ever had.”

Senior Charlotte Hassler agrees.

“Ms. Reinaldo might be my favorite teacher I’ve ever had,” she says. “She never makes you feel bad if you don’t understand something. She’s very positive and helpful.”

Reinaldo says that’s her goal, as a teacher.

“More than ‘I learned the present or past tense with her,’ I want them to remember the class as fun and engaging,” she says. “I want them to feel supported ,and like they can come talk to me if they’ve had a bad day.”

Reinaldo’s adjustment to a new culture, and being a native Spanish speaker, give her a perspective that’s uncommon at Friends School. Her relatability and kindness make her a great mentor and highly valued member of the community. The impact she has on her students extends beyond their knowledge of Spanish, and will stay with many.